These cream filled pastry puffs with spinach and feta are a light delicious appetizer that you can’t wait to get out of the oven. Warm and flaky, the combination of cheese and spinach make for an irresistible first bite.
For the Dough
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 24 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 egg yolks, to brush the outside pastry layer
- Preheat the oven to 375. Put both mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 60-90 seconds; stir after heating.
- Combine the rest of the dough ingredients into the cheese mixture and add to a food processor. Mix using the dough blade until a uniform color appears. If you do not have a food processor you can mix in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon but you may need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients.
- In a separate bowl stir together the ingredients for the filling (excluding the egg yolks). Roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper into a 6 x 18 inch rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise with a pizza cutter. Put the filling in the center of one piece of dough. Top with the other piece of dough.
- Using the pizza cutter, cut each dough pairing into 7 or 8 pieces. Put them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and gently press the edges together on the opposing sides of each pastry.
- Using a small knife, make a few slits in the top dough. Brush each pastry with the egg yolk and put in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastries become golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Find everything you need for this recipe at Instacart
OTHER FOOD SUGGESTIONS