Relish with the ultimate comfort food of the Irish Isles with this hearty dish to warm your body and soul. Great as an appetizer, but it’s also hefty enough to vie as a decent meal for your belly’s content.
Photo by Getty Images
- 4 leeks (finely sliced)
- 4 shallots (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- butter and olive oil
- 2 oz. dried mushrooms
- 8 cups beef stock
- 12 oz. fresh wild mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- fresh parsley for garnish
- additional sliced mushrooms for garnish
- In large saucepan, sauté the leeks, shallots and chopped garlic in butter and oil over medium heat. Stir frequently until all components become soft. This all should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the dried mushrooms in with the leeks, shallots and garlic and stir until they begin to soften. Then add beef stock and bring combination to a boil.
- Add the wild mushrooms, water, thyme and salt and pepper. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover half the pan with its top. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour about 3/4 of the soup into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Combine with remaining soup, and then add heavy cream and heat through. Depending on your preference of soup thickness, add more stock or water to the soup until desired result is reached. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parsley leaves and sliced mushrooms.
- For best experience, serve soup while it's hot.
Find everything you need for this recipe at Instacart
OTHER FOOD SUGGESTIONS