Inspired by the delicious starter that you can get at Applebee’s, this hearty baked French onion soup recipe hits all the right spots. If you’re looking for a tasty appetizer that can serve as a meal within itself, this is the dish for you!
- Melt butter in a VERY large pan or stock pot over MEDIUM HIGH heat. It's most likely recommended that you utilize a pot if applicable since you'll be incorporating a large amount of onions and beef stock for this recipe.
- Add garlic to pan/pot and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add in onions and stir to combine with the garlic. Slightly reduce heat and allow onions to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are completely caramelized.
- Incorporate beef broth, beef base and mushroom powder in with your caramelized onions and stir. Reduce heat to LOW and simmer for 30 minutes to allow ingredients to fully combine and bring out the taste of the resulting "au jus".
- Remove pan/pot from heat and using a ladle, spoon soup into an oven safe crock bowl. Fill bowl about 2/3 full, leaving room at the top to avoid overflowing.
- Top soup with toaster round and cover the top of the bowl's contents with 2-3 slices of Swiss cheese, allowing the cheese's edge(s) to hang over the rim of the bowl.
- Set oven to broil on HIGH heat and place soup onto a baking sheet. Put baking sheet into the oven and broil until cheese becomes melted and golden brown (about 3-5 minutes). Adjust times for desired result of cheese color. Take out of the oven when done and serve hot.
Find everything you need for this recipe at Instacart
OTHER FOOD SUGGESTIONS