This skillet shepherd’s pie casserole recipe combines seasoned ground beef and vegetables, topped with a layer of mashed potatoes, Cheddar cheese, and parsley. Baked to golden excellence, this classic dish is a quick and easy feast that you and the entire family will certainly enjoy.
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 3-4 quarts cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium white onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (peeled and diced)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place russet potatoes in a medium-sized pot with cold water. Cover pot with a lid and set over HIGH heat; bring to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce heat to low and simmer potatoes for 20 minutes, or until you can pierce soft potatoes easily with a fork. While potatoes are cooking, move onto step 3.
- In a separate iron skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and brown, stirring to break up into little pieces. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper and continue to cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain and transfer beef to a medium sized bowl.
- Add remaining olive oil to empty skillet and return to medium heat. Incorporate onions and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute, being careful not to burn.
- Stir in tomato paste and mix well with the vegetables. Add back in the cooked ground beef and season with rosemary, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and the remaining salt.
- Add beef broth and cornstarch to the skillet and stir for 2-3 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Add in frozen peas and corn. Stir, lower heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place milk in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm. Drain pot of potatoes of water and sing an electric hand mixer mash the potatoes until slightly whipped. Add the milk, sour cream, and butter to the potatoes and continue to whip until creamy smooth.
- Spoon batches of mashed potatoes over the top of the vegetable mixture and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with cheese and transfer skillet to the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese bubbles and edges begin to brown. Remove skillet from oven and garnish with minced fresh parsley. Allow to sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Find everything you need for this recipe at Instacart