When it comes to these Beef Birria Tacos Con Consommé, you’re greeted with rich, flavorful beef birria that’s perfectly served with spices, vegetables and a delicious sauce. These tacos are the best tacos you’ve had in a long time. Prepare to be amazed!
Recipe Inspired by Adrianna Adarme/A Cozy Kitchen
Photo: Rob Byron/Shutterstock
For The Meat
- 2 lbs. boneless chuck roast
- 1 lb. short rib
- kosher salt (as needed; about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
For The Birria Sauce
- 7 ancho chiles (ends trimmed and de-seeded)
- 7 guajillo chiles (ends trimmed and de-seeded)
- 3 chiles de arbol (ends trimmed and de-seeded)
- 1 white onion (peeled and halved)
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
For Tacos & Garnish
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 diced white onion
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Corn tortillas
- 3 ounces Oaxacan cheese (or mozzarella)
For the Meat
- Bring both the chuck roast and short rib to room temperature (about 30 minutes). Sprinkle both meats liberally with kosher salt. Add vegetable oil to a large Dutch oven and heat to medium-high heat. Add meat to pot and and sear on all sides until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
For the Sauce
- In a medium pot add chiles, white onion, garlic cloves, tomatoes, spices, and bay leaves. Add cold water to pot until everything is covered and heat to medium high heat over stove. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes. When done pour ingredients through a strainer and transfer contents to a blender.
- Add apple cider vinegar and beef broth to blender and blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. If needed you can run sauce through a strainer again and blend for an additional 1 minute if you need sauce to be smoother.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Add meat back to the Dutch oven and pour sauce over it, scraping out any remaining sauce still stuck in the blender. Place over medium heat until it reaches a gentle simmer and then immediately cover and transfer to preheated oven. Cook for about 3 hours until the meat is tender. When done, take pot out of the oven.
For the Tacos
- In a small bowl mix together cilantro, diced onion, lime juice and salt. Remove meat from the pot and shred using two forks. Ladle the broth from the sauce into a bowl and add a handful of diced cilantro-onion mix.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and dip tortilla(s) into the top of the sauce in the pot. Pan fry tortilla on one side for about 30 seconds and then flip over. Add some of the shredded meat and shredded cheese to the tortilla and fold over and cook until pan fried on both sides, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and serve alongside the broth. Repeat for the remaining tortillas as needed until all tacos have been assembled.
Find everything you need for this recipe at Instacart
OTHER FOOD SUGGESTIONS