Photo by Yvonne Lee
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together the flour, brown sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss the beef in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, sear the meat on all sides until golden brown (about 3 to 4 minutes per batch). Remove the meat to a plate and set aside.
- In a pot add the ginger, chili paste, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Deglaze with the sherry, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the broth, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the seared beef, cover, transfer to the oven and cook until the meat is falling apart (about 2 hours).
- Serve with rice, noodles, or vegetables (or any other compliment of your choosing).
Find everything you need for this recipe at Instacart
OTHER FOOD SUGGESTIONS