Prepare to kick up your grilled cheese with a little bit of heat with this delicious grilled cheese and chipotle sandwich. Only for the strongest and bravest of tastebuds.
ABOUT THE RECIPEKnow before you eat
This recipe adds a spicy facelift to an age old classic. With the help chipotle chile peppers, this simple yet potent ingredient adds a whole new dimension to your basic grilled cheese sandwich.
Delicious Grilled Cheese and Chipotle Sandwich
Main Ingredients: Sliced bread, pureed chipotle chile peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes, onions
Nutrition Facts (1 serving): 366 calories, 23 grams total fat, 63 milligram cholesterol, 28 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams sugar, 12 grams protein
Note: In lieu of using chipotle chile peppers, you can also use jalapeno pepper, habanero peppers, or spicy adobo paste as your heat additive in your sandwich.
- 4 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or sliced cheese)
- 1 slice tomato (optional)
- 1 thinly sliced red onion (optional)
- chopped cilantro leaves (optional)
- 3 oz soft butter
- Spread the inside of each piece of bread with a thin coating of the pureed chiles (or more if you would prefer the sandwich to have a little more heat).
- Cover chile coated side with a thin layer of cheese, tomato and onion slices (optional), and chopped cilantro if choose as well. Top with second slice of bread and spread both the outer sides of the bread with butter.
- Place sandwich (butter side down) in a nonstick pan. Heat pan to medium and cook each sandwich on both sides until they are golden brown, for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- For a more effective cook, cover the pan with a top to help melt the cheese better and evenly toast the sandwich all around.
- Once cooked through and golden brown on both sides, take out of pan and lay on a paper towel covered plate to let rest for 1 minute before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 23gCholesterol: 63mgCarbohydrates: 28gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
If this recipe has you seeing start and cheese rolls, check out these other delicious bites to satisfy your “cheesy” appetite.