Bring the taste of classic New Orleans to your kitchen with this delicious homemade New Orleans gumbo recipe. Embodying a traditional Southern roux, crab, sausage, vegetables, shrimp, and served over yummy steamed rice. This dish is as amazing as the city that produces it; truly the last gumbo recipe you’ll ever need.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 medium white onion (chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 lb andouille sausage (sliced)
- 6 cups water
- 3 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce (or your preferred choice of hot sauce)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14.5oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 (10oz.) package of frozen cut okra
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 lb. lump crab meat
- 1 lb. medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine flour and 3/4 cup of butter together over medium heat and whisk until mixture turns a dark brown color; should take 20-30 minutes. Once roux becomes smooth and creamy, remove from heat and continue to whisk and let set, whisking occasionally.
- Place chopped celery, onions, green bell peppers, and garlic into a food processor and pulse until nicely combined. Add the vegetables and sausage into the roux and bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat. Cook until the vegetables are tender; about 8-10. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate pot bring water to a boil and add beef bouillon cubes; whisk until the cubes dissolve. Whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add in sugar, salt, Louisiana hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce into the pot. Simmer soup over low heat for 1 hour.
- Melt the remaining butter in a skillet and cook the okra with the white vinegar over medium heat for 15 minutes. When done stir in the okra into the roux mixture.
- After cooking the okra then incorporate the crab meat, shrimp, and Worcestershire sauce with the gumbo and simmer until the flavors have all melded (about 45 minutes). Stir in the cornstarch just before serving.
- Serve hot over rice. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Find everything you need for this recipe at Instacart